Karabiner-Elements is a powerful and stable keyboard customizer for macOS.
- Simple Modifications: Change normal keys to other keys.
- Complex Modifications: Change keys by complex rules.
- Change a key to combination of modifiers. (e.g. change capslock to control+command)
- Change modifiers+key to key. (e.g. change control+m to return)
- Send key events if a key is pressed alone.
- Send key events if keys are pressed simultaneously.
- Mouse keys.
- Function Keys: Change f1-f12 keys to media controls.
- Devices: Apply modifications to specified keyboards only.
- Profiles: Support multiple profiles.
- Modifier Flag Sync: Synchronize modifier flags across all connected keyboards.
- Secure Keyboard Entry Support: Work well on Secure Keyboard Entry environment such as a password prompt, terminal with Secure Keyboard Entry, etc.
- Extra Key Support: Enable extra keys on PC keyboard that are not recognized by default in macOS.
- Home key on iPad keyboards such as Logitech K480
- International keys
- Language keys (e.g.,
カタカナkeys on JIS PC keyboard)
- Application Launch Keys
- Karabiner-Elements cannot modify the eject key on some keyboard (e.g., Apple Wired Keyboard) due to the limitation of macOS API.
- Karabiner-Elements cannot modify the fn key on non-Apple keyboards such as Logitech keyboards.
- Karabiner-Elements ignores the
System Settings > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts... > Modifier Keysconfiguration.
Change modifiers by using Simple Modifications. (Detail of input event modification chaining)